When it comes to hosting a great gathering, there is plenty of work that goes into it behind the scenes. From deciding on the menu and decorations to making sure that the guest list is organized, there are a lot of important tasks that you need to do before your guests arrive. To make sure that everything goes as planned, here are 20 crucial things you need to tackle before the guests arrive:
1. Create a welcoming atmosphere: Set up chairs, dim the lights, light some candles, and have your favorite music playing in the background.
2. Set up a self-serve bar: Prepare an array of drinks and snacks, like sodas and chips, for your guests to help themselves.
3. Prepare a signature cocktail: Whether it’s a signature martini or an interesting mocktail, make sure you have a signature drink ready for your guests.
4. Gather serving utensils: Put food in bowls and trays, and make sure you have plenty of forks, knives, spoons and napkins on hand.
5. Clear the clutter: Before your guests arrive, make sure that you clear away the clutter in your living space.
6. Prep the bathroom: Before guests arrive, make sure the bathroom is stocked with soap and other necessities.
7. Provide snacks: Have a variety of snacks ready for your guests, such as crackers, nuts and fruit.
8. Have enough seating: Make sure that there are comfortable seats for all your guests to sit on.
9. Organize the entertainment: Have your favorite board games, cards and movies ready for everyone to enjoy.
10. Prepare an outdoor area: If you have outdoor space, set it up with chairs and blankets for an outdoor gathering.
11. Check the thermostat: Make sure the temperature is comfortable for all of your guests before they arrive.
12. Put out dishes and cutlery: If you’re serving food, make sure you have enough dishes and cutlery for everyone.
13. Clean the surfaces: Wipe down surfaces like tables and counters to make sure they’re spotless.
14. Set out decorations: Whether it’s a festive centerpiece or a few candles, make sure to decorate the space.
15. Prepare any DIY activities: If you are planning on having any DIY activities, make sure you buy all the supplies beforehand.
16. Set up a photo booth: It’s a fun way for your guests to remember the night. Gather props, backdrops and a camera to get ready for photos!
17. Light the fireplace: If you have a fireplace, make sure to light it up for an extra cozy atmosphere.
18. Hide the mess: Make sure that anything that’s out of place is put away and hidden.
19. Check the lighting: Make sure the lights are at an appropriate level for your guests to be comfortable.
20. Have a plan for cleanup: Make sure you have a system in place for cleaning up after the guests leave. Have a few garbage cans and cleaning supplies ready to go.