Vitamin C and retinol, when used together, can create a powerful powerhouse of anti-aging and skin-rejuvenation! This powerful combination of ingredients can help to reduce wrinkles, brighten skin tone, and even improve the overall health of your skin. By using both retinol and vitamin C in your routine, you can help boost collagen production, reduce inflammation, and even protect against sun damage. Whether you’re looking to combat the signs of aging or just want to maintain a youthful and healthy complexion, this combination may be worth considering! Ahead, everything you need to know about combining retinol and vitamin C in your skincare routine, plus the best retinol and vitamin C products to try right now (and as an added bonus – tips to maximize their effects).
MEET THE EXPERT
Azadeh Shirazi, MD, a board-certified dermatologist
Dendy Engelman, MD, a board-certified dermatologic surgeon
Deanne Mraz Robinson, MD, a board-certified dermatologist
What Is Retinol
Retinol is a powerhouse ingredient when it comes to skin care. It’s an active form of Vitamin A that works wonders to improve the texture and tone of your skin. It works by encouraging skin cell turnover and stimulating collagen production, resulting in brighter, smoother, and firmer looking skin. “By signaling cells to behave like younger cells, retinol can smooth fine lines and wrinkles, fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation, and improve skin’s tone and texture,” explains Dr. Engelman. Using retinol regularly can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, dark spots, and other signs of aging. It’s a skincare must-have for anyone who wants to look their best. Retinol can be used in a variety of ways to give your skin the treatment it deserves. From moisturizers and serums to night creams, there are plenty of retinol-infused products available to help you achieve a glowing complexion. Using even the tiniest amount of retinol can make a big difference in your skin, so don’t be afraid to give it a try!
What Is Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants available and an essential nutrient for healthy skin. It’s been known to reduce wrinkles, dark spots, and boost collagen production. Vitamin C helps your body naturally produce collagen, a protein in your skin that acts as a building block for healthier, more youthful skin. Shirazi says. “It’s like pac-man—it goes around and scavenges these highly reactive molecules that harm and stress the skin.” By providing your body with this nutrient, you can help keep skin looking younger and more vibrant. Vitamin C free radicals that cause damage to the skin, while also lightening dark spots and discoloration. It also helps protect your skin from sun damage and environmental toxins, keeping it healthy and strong.
How To Safely Combine Retinol and Vitamin C
Retinol and Vitamin C are two powerful ingredients that, when combined correctly, can give incredible results for your skin. Shirazi calls this combo a “power couple” when it comes to aging well. “These ingredients are a dream team for tackling dullness, fine lines, hyperpigmentation, acne and acne scarring, and overall skin aging,” says Dr. Mraz Robinson “From a health perspective, vitamin C neutralizes free radicals and stressors on the skin, while retinol helps the skin to shed unhealthy and potentially pre-cancerous skin cells, so they’re very complementary.” To get the most out of this combination, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Start slow — If you’re new to using Retinol and Vitamin C together, begin with a low concentration. You can always increase the concentration as your skin adjusts.
2. Use them at different times of the day — Use Retinol in the evening and Vitamin C in the morning. This will help prevent skin irritation as your skin adjusts to the combination of ingredients, Shirazi recommends.
3. Don’t overdo it — Be sure to follow the directions for each product and don’t use too much. Overusing either ingredient can cause skin irritation, so start with a small amount and adjust as needed.
4. Hydrate — Retinol and Vitamin C can both be drying, so it’s important to stay hydrated and moisturize regularly.
Tips To Maximize Retinol’s and Vitamin C’s Effects
1. Always apply sunscreen after using either Retinol or Vitamin C, as both of these products can make skin more sensitive to sunlight.
Glowscreen SPF 40
Liquid Sun Shield
Daily Sunscreen Gel
SPF 30 Sunscreen
THE INKEY LIST
2. Start slow with Retinol and Vitamin C products; use them every other day at first to see how your skin reacts, then gradually increase usage every few days.
Time Rewind Retinol System
Calendula Bio-Retinol Serum
Dynamic Skin Retinol Serum
1% Retinol Treatment
Vitamin C Gel Cream
C15 Super Booster
Vitamin C Serum
THE INKEY LIST
Violet-C Brightening Serum
3. Incorporate LED light therapy into your routine, as it can help activate Retinol and Vitamin C for a deeper penetration in the skin.
SHOP THE #1 RATED RED LIGHT DEVICE
With its reliable performance and unbeatable convenience, this device is ideal for anyone looking to enjoy all the benefits of red light therapy.
4. Pair Retinol and Vitamin C with other skin care products designed to enhance the effectiveness of the two, such as peptides and hyaluronic acid.
Hyaluronic Acid + Peptide Lip Booster
Hyaluronic Acid Serum
THE INKEY LIST
Hyaluronic Face Cream 2.0
5. Change up your routine; alternate Retinol and Vitamin C every other night, or use one in the morning and the other at night. This can help your skin stay balanced and prevent it from becoming too sensitive over time.
6. Be sure to drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep; healthy skin is always key to helping maximize any product’s effects.
7. Sauna-ing is the way to go; Sauna treatments can also help maximize the effects of Retinol and Vitamin C, as they open up your pores and allow for deeper penetration of the two products. Considering investing in a infrared sauna blanket that you could use at home for a relaxing and rejuvenating spa-like experience. Not only will you enjoy the warmth of a sauna session, but it can also help keep your skin looking youthful and glowing. Enjoy the warmth of a sauna session, where you can relax and let your skin soak up the goodness of Retinol and Vitamin C! It’s the perfect way to give your skin a boost, while also winding down after a long day. Plus, infrared saunas are known to help reduce stress, improve circulation and purify your skin – making it a total win-win! So, why not add sauna treatments to your skincare routine? You (and your skin) will be glad you did!
INFRARED SAUNA BLANKET
VELLGUS RED LIGHT
8.Don’t forget to exfoliate; using an AHA or BHA every few days helps to remove dead skin cells and further enhance the effects of Retinol and Vitamin C.
THE INKEY LIST
AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
9.Lastly, don’t forget the basics; use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer in between retinol and vitamin C applications.
Mild Cream Cleanser
Rich, lathering formula leaves skin feeling soft, smooth and clean.
Evercalm™ Cleansing Milk
Evercalm™ Cleansing Gel
The Dewy Skin Cream
Colloidal Oatmeal Cream
Skin Smoothing Cream Moisturizer
Q. Is Retinol and Vitamin C used together safe?
A. Yes, when used properly and with caution, Retinol and Vitamin C can be used together safely. Start with a low concentration and adjust as needed, keeping in mind that both of these products can be drying and can cause skin irritation if overused.
Q. Does Retinol and Vitamin C used together actually work?
A. Yes, using Retinol and Vitamin C together can be beneficial for your skin. Both of these ingredients contain antioxidant properties, which help protect the skin from environmental stressors and can even help improve the appearance of wrinkles and discoloration. However, it’s important to start slow, as overusing either of these products can lead to skin sensitivity and irritation.
Q. What should I use Retinol and Vitamin C for?
A. Retinol and Vitamin C can be used to help improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars and hyperpigmentation. However, it’s important to understand that these products will not completely erase wrinkles or discoloration, but may help slow down the aging process and make your skin look brighter and more even toned.
Q. How often should I use Retinol and Vitamin C together?
A. It’s best to start with one application per week and adjust as needed. It’s important not to overuse either product, as overusing Retinol and Vitamin C can lead to skin irritation. If you experience any redness, dryness or sensitivity, back off the frequency of use or reduce the concentration of either product until your skin adjusts.
Q: Are there any other benefits to using Retinol and Vitamin C together?
A: Yes! Retinol and Vitamin C can also help improve the appearance of skin tone and texture, as well as reduce oiliness and blemishes. Additionally, these products can help fight free radicals, which can lead to premature aging and wrinkles. Overall, Retinol and Vitamin C used together can be a powerful tool for maintaining glowing, healthy looking skin.
The S+S product selections are curated by the editorial team. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. We only recommend products we genuinely love.